The Wedding Bouquet

Yah, it's my first time "catching" it...

I think it's over-rated now... from all the weddings that I have been to, single women were dragged out...they don't seem all that interested in catching it...

So what happened yesterday at my friend's wedding was:


Just before the bride is ready to throw the bouquet... one of the guys from my fellowship urged me to quickly go and get ready... he was like, "hey, you have got to get out there now... they are going to throw the bouquet and she is going to throw it to you, I have talked to the bride already..."

Then, I went... just so happened that I was in the front row... and the bride did throw it in my direction, all I had to do was to reach up and I caught it....

My friends were all so excited about me catching the bouquet...they seem more excited than I am.... I was a bit shocked that I actually got it... some guy took a series of snap shots of me catching the bouquet, and then the guy who urged me to go get ready before said "see, I told you...I paid quite a great sum in bribing the bride", and then another guy told me, "that was the best of your athletic abilities I have seen thus far"...

The Funniest thing was (well quite embarrassing too...), that right after I caught the bouquet, all my girlfriends from my fellowship SCREAMED.... and said (this was the worst part), "Daisy, you can finally get married!" Sigh....they seem more desperate in marrying me away than myself... It was probably all done with good intentions, they really want to see me with a guy.... I think part of the reason why I was so shocked after I caught the bouquet was because of their reactions too....

anyways... let's take a look at some facts, I looked up the tradition of tossing the bouquet and found the following:

1. The practice of the tossing the bridal bouquet is believed to be an outgrowth of an idea that was popular in the 14th century, particularly in early French tradition. It was considered lucky to get a fragment of the bride's clothing. In those days, the bride was treated poorly. Guests would grab at her wedding dress in order to tear off pieces.
scary, isn't it?

2. With some couples, the custom of tossing the bouquet, albeit a very old one, has come under some criticism. It seems that in the rush for the bouquet, young children have been caught underfoot, and even adults have been injured.
Wow! So that's when people actually fought for it...

3. Some modern brides feel that the custom is embarrassing and tacky, because it singles out the single women who are with all good intention "dragged" to the floor to participate in the ritual.
I felt like one of those women...

So please, whoever is going to have a wedding next, let's come up with other creative alternatives to tossing the bouquet....

0 comments:

Post a Comment